Monday, December 26, 2005

Ice Fishing


Wow, I'm just now realizing how terribly busy my December was. Sooo...SarahBeth's class had a field trip to Jewel Lake where the Alaska Fish and Game hosted an ice fishing thing, as mentioned in this here article.

I figured this was my one and only chance to ice fish, so I drove SarahBeth, 2 other classmates and Jamison to a beautiful frozen lake in the middle of town. There were about 20-30 holes in the ice and each kid got a pole. The adults were in charge of baiting the hook with tiny "salad" shrimp and then the kids lowered the line. For whatever "magical fishing" reason, some kids caught multiple fish, but most caught none. What was amusing was watching the "non-catchers" flock to other holes based on the "catchers" telling them how many fish they caught in their holes. No amount of explaination could get the kids to understand that all the holes lead to the same lake..the same body of water...the same fish supply.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad you and SB had the opportunity to go ice fishing. I always thought it would be fun to try. I understand one of the hazards of ice fishing, especially in Alaska, is the bears. I've heard that they love to sneak up on the fishermen and kick them right in the icehole. That's what I've heard.