Wednesday, January 25, 2006

OK...brrrrr.....


Yesterday Tim went on a "conversion run". Maybe you didn't know this (I didn't) but at -41 degrees, Fahrenheit and Celsius converge. Don't believe me, try this. Tim said you just got colder faster. He also said being outside is like being somewhere where the chemical fumes are so strong you feel like you can't get your breath.
That's a picture from my backyard
We've been at -15 to -20 here in the Eagle River Valley and I know what Tim means in a 20 degree warmer way. I ran outside earlier to move the truck and had to stop before I "plugged" the truck in to warm my hands. We are talking 30-60 seconds of time. (And no gloves)

I have to say, I have ALOT lately been feeling the old timer syndrome. How can I possibly have been married nearly 10 years...out of high school-well, more than that...I have a 9 year old...I've given birth 3 times...3! But, more than all that, lately I've had the absolutely overwhelming feeling of oh my gosh, wait-OH MY GOD, I live in Alaska. ALASKA!!!

But next month begins the build up to the Iditarod. They call it the Fur Rondy (Rondevous?) and I'm guessing it's a Derby Festival of sorts. Then they run the Iditarod the first Saturday in March...next is Easter...then a little Derby Party in AK (the first Saturday in May!) and then before you know it, the weather is warmer, the snow is gone and the sun is my constant companion.

So here's to end of January-see you next year!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This made me think of you:

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory?id=1549947


Can't get it to link. Sorry.